Now that you have your braces, how do you take care of them? It’s important for you to know how to take care of your braces properly throughout your entire orthodontic treatment.
This page is to provide information about food you can eat, food you should avoid and playing sports while in braces. Home care in case of an emergency, Brushing & flossing are discussed in detail separately.
Foods to avoid with braces
- Chewy foods: bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods: popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods: caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods: nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into: corn on the cob, apples, carrots
Foods you CAN eat with braces
- Dairy: soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads: soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains: pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry: soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood: tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables: mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits: applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats: ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
Playing Sports with Braces
You can still play sports even while undergoing orthodontic treatment! If you do play sports, it’s recommended that you wear a mouthguard to protect your teeth and any appliance you may have.
We recommend wearing the mouthguard for the following patients:
- All patients in braces to wear while playing sports.
- Heavy grinders to wear while sleeping.
- Patients who wore a splint before braces and want to use some sort of protection during their braces treatment.
- Patients in retention phase of their orthodontic treatment who grind their teeth at night can wear it on top of their retainers while sleeping.
We look forward to being a part of your wonderful, life-changing experience.