This page is focused on providing detailed instructions about AvA Orthodontics prescribed at home whitening for our patients. If you are seeking general information about teeth whitening, please see our treatment page.
Before starting your treatment
- Dental caries and leaking restorations are amongst the most common reasons for teeth to look dark. Whitening is not effective to change this type of discoloration. Rule out the presence of this possibility by consulting with your family dentist beforehand.
- Results vary from person to person, depending on the type of the stain, age, treatment time, frequency of use and concentration of the material and patient expectation. You may not achieve the exact bright color that you have in mind.
- Mild to moderate gum or tooth sensitivity is common after whitening and will go away after a few days. This sensitivity is generally related to the peroxide concentration of the material and the overall time in contact with the teeth. If the material is in contact with teeth for too long, it may cause irreversible sensitivity which requires your family dentist to intervene.
- To be on the safe side, do not bleach your teeth during pregnancy or while nursing.
- Gel material should never come in contact with your gum, skin or eyes at any time.
- Whitening should be done before any cosmetic restoration on your teeth such as veneer or crowns. There is always a risk of existing restorations needing to be changed due to the color difference after treatment.
- Your whitening kit contains three syringes of mint flavored gel, 22% carbamide peroxide.
- Only use your custom whitening trays made at AvA Orthodontics. Using generic prefabricated trays are potentially dangerous for your gums and teeth.
- Do not use your clear retainers or Invisalign aligners as whitening trays.
- Do not sleep with your trays on. It may cause irreversible damage to your teeth or your gums.
- Keep the unused gel in a refrigerator at all times.
Below is the instruction only for at home whitening prescribed at AvA Orthodontics. This instruction does not apply to any other whitening treatment.
- Take an initial picture to monitor the progress and compare the before and after
- Brush and floss your teeth before use. Presence of plaque will affect the results.
- Only use a very small pearl of gel per tooth. Your custom made trays are designed to contain a tiny amount of gel per tooth. Do not overfill the trays.
- Remove one of the syringes from your kit and snap the tip of the cover. 1/3 of each syringe is more than enough for both upper and lower tray per use.
- Align your tray with your teeth and seat them all the way.
- You should not see any gel overflowing from the trays. If you notice a minor overflow, clean the excess material with a wet finger or tissue. If you notice a major overflow take the tray out rinse your mouth thoroughly, clean your gums and then put the tray back on.
- Wear your trays for up to 60 minutes per day.
- Remove the trays. Rinse your mouth and brush away any remaining gel.
- Clean your trays with a soft toothbrush and liquid soap.
- Rinse your trays with cold water after each use.
- Keep your trays in their case and keep the case out of reach of your pets.
- Repeat the cycle for only a few days a week until desired results are achieved.
What to do in case of sensitivity
Mild to moderate sensitivity for a few days is normal. If the sensitivity lasts longer or it is severe, follow the instructions below.
- Stop whitening for a few days and start again once sensitivity is gone.
- wear your tray for a shorter time. Give your teeth a break and do not bleach your teeth too frequently.
- Rinse your mouth with fluoridated mouthwash or apply in office fluoride gel.
- Use over the counter pain killers such as Advil or Tylenol.
- Consult with your family dentist
- Maintain good level of oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly.
- See your hygienist for a professional cleaning and fluoride treatment every six months.
- Avoid pigmented food or drinks which may stain your teeth.
- If necessary, use a straw to drink colored beverages such as coffee, tea, red wine.
- Touch up whitening, as needed.
We look forward to being a part of your wonderful, life-changing experience.